Private Schools

Private School or Public School

Home > Private Schools > Private or public

State Schools

State schools would usually be known as public schools in other countries. In the UK we generally don’t say public schools because that term traditionally refers to one of seven private schools given independence from direct jurisdiction by the Public Schools Act 1868: Charterhouse, Eton College, Harrow School, Rugby School, Shrewsbury School, Westminster School, and Winchester College. So the general term for schools with no fees is state schools. These can be academies, grammar schools, trusts or free schools. Anyone can theoretically attend a state school for up to 6 months as part of an official exchange programme. Non European students (and possibly European students after Brexit) must attend a fee paying school if they stay longer than 6 months. Please see our state school options book for these schools.

Private Schools

Private schools are usually called independent schools or fee paying schools. All the schools in this book charge fees. Fees vary enormously. For this book, SEE has chosen schools with a realistic chance of acceptance and reasonable fees. All schools in this book can accept non European students. Pupils starting under 16 can stay up to 6 years, students starting aged 16 or 17 can stay 3 years.

If you want to find out more, get in touch

We’d be happy to discuss any questions you may have or if you need any further information.